Williston, ND (KEYZ) Williston Fire Fighters say a family escaped a big house fire last night largely in part to their functioning smoke detectors waking them in time to safely get out of the house and rendezvous outside. Battalion Chief Mike Frominos says crews arrived to the structure fire in the 600 block of 5th Avenue W shortly after midnight last night, with word there could be possible trapped occupants.
“First units on the scene came upon heavy smoke and heavy fire visible. It did come in as an entrapment call, with people in the house. But when units got on scene, they saw that the residents ‘self’ evacuated and a large part of that is because they had working smoke detectors,” says Frominos.
Frominos says there were no injuries and the American Red Cross is assisting the family — Twenty firefighters responded to the fire which is still under investigation. Frominos stresses the importance of having working smoke detectors can never be overstated. Especially as we head into the holiday season, with cold weather space heaters, Christmas lights and lots of electric toys. All can spark fires.